More Than Dog Treats
We love dogs, but Beyond Bones is about more than that. Our business started as a labor of love backed by The Arc of Allegan County (Arc) and a small group of dedicated volunteers. True to the Arc’s mission of creating space and advocating for individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities (IDDs), our treat business was started to provide much-need job opportunities and engagement for our friends with a wide range of skills and abilities.
Our first bag of treats was sold in July 2021 after thoughtfully crafting our original recipe peanut butter apple treats with intentionally chosen ingredients and many taste tests by our volunteers (yes, we use all human-safe ingredients!) and their dogs. As our treats gained popularity at local farmers markets and craft and vendor fairs, we began working towards opening our own store front.
Located at 219 Hubbard Street in downtown Allegan, the Beyond Bones store officially opened in June 2022. It is next door to The Arc of Allegan County office and a great place to stock up on Beyond Bones treats as well as other goodies for your pets (cats included!) and thoughtful gifts for pet lovers.
The Beyond Bones Crew
Beyond Bones employs 24 individuals with IDDs in the production, packaging, and sale of treats.
The baked treats are for sale in our store front, online, and through our retail partners. Employees stock and staff the Beyond Bones store front, greeting customers (both human and furry friends).
Arc of Allegan
A number of caring individuals work to create an inclusive and welcoming work environment for our crew, including Beyond Bones Business Manager Lisa Roussin, Arc Executive Director Roger Bird, Arc’s Board of Directors, and numerous dedicated volunteers and supporters.
Inclusion & Opportunity
Arc and Beyond Bones strive to create of an inclusive and welcoming work environment. Our goal is to provide those with IDDs an opportunity to grow both personally and professionally, giving them a chance to contribute to their community in a meaningful way while earning a fair wage.
Businesses thrive when we incorporate all of our employees’ ideas and skills and recognize that honoring employees’ interests creates a stronger workplace. We understand that far more can be accomplished when we partner with community businesses and organizations/agencies to strengthen our work.
When we say our business goes beyond treats, we are talking about our belief that:
- All people can provide meaningful contributions in an inclusive workplace.
- Our employees are entitled to a competitive wage for the work they perform.
- Learning and growth never stop. All individuals have the ability to expand on their skills and experiences through opportunity.
- Within the workplace, individuals should be treated with respect and dignity, teamwork is expected, and creativity and innovation are encouraged.
- A culture of collaboration should be embraced.
- Providing a quality product and excellent customer service will create opportunities for growth within our community.
Be a part of the Beyond Bones Family today!
If you or someone you know is interested in becoming a baker or working in our retail store, fill out an application!
If you would like to know more about Beyond Bones and our mission, including how you may be able to support our efforts in life-changing ways (like helping us raise funds for kitchen space of our own) or volunteering to work alongside our employees on baking days or in the retail shop, we would love to talk to you!
Help Us Go Beyond!
Beyond Bones has come a long way since selling our first bag of treats in July 2021 and we have big plans for the future!
Please help us grow our initiative, employ more individuals with disabilities, and maybe even purchase our own kitchen space one day by:
- Visit our store and purchase a bag of delicious treats for your fur friend or a new toy!
- Buying Beyond Bones dog treats online from our bARC Shop.
- Stop by one of our many retail partners to find our treats closer to you!
- Spreading the word to all the dog lovers in your life!
- Donating directly to The Arc of Allegan County and Beyond Bones.
- Sponsoring a Beyond Bones baker’s shift for $30.75 or crew for the month for $369.00 for a day by donating the cost of their wages!
- Volunteering to help our bakers make our Beyond Bones dog treats.
- Joining the Arc Board of Directors.
- Supporting our production by purchasing items we need from our Amazon Wish List.